You will find this note very unusual. I work with MBA applicants throughout the year, and I am making a declaration that an MBA can’t make you successful. I recently spent time in Cherrapunjee, and had a Driver/Guide for two days. He was not an MBA obviously, but he was more successful than many of us. He loved his job( Driving from Shillong to Chirrapunjee, and trekking with tourists to the deepest of forests), he loved his city, and he really knew that he could do all this with enthusiasm throughout his life. For him, there was nowhere to go and nothing to accomplish. He knew everyone in that smallest city, and was excited about his life.
Through this note, I wanted to make this very VERYClear that a B-School will not make you successful. It might get you more money, resources or even better jobs, but I am very certain it will not lead to a feeling of being successful.
You know what will lead to feeling successful- A declaration- A declaration that you are successful right now.
There is a very simple rational for why this is important for you to know this at this stage:
Think about it this way: If a B-School will make you successful in the future, then I want you to ask yourself right now “If I will get successful in the future, and it depends on an event, what am I right now?” What are you right now? – In my conversations with thousands of people every year, I get a standard response( after twisting your brains out) that you are “UNSUCCESSFUL”. It is somewhere STUCK so deeply in your minds that you are UNSUCCESSFUL.
You know the problems with that thought process: See below
IF YOU ARE UNSUCCESSFUL RIGHT NOW: ( Only if you think so)
- An Unsuccessful person starts writing the applications
- An Unsuccessful person starts scouting for B-School admits
- An Unsuccessful person starts building responses for the toughest interview questions
- An Unsuccessful person starts randomly exploring goal stories, and starts building aspirations that are not coherent with what life is all about
- An Unsuccessful person prepares for GMAT
- An Unsuccessful person gets a reject from his/her top choices.
How efficient do you think an unsuccessful person will be at all of the steps above?
Even if you make it through, remember, that feeling of success (that was driven by an admit) will last for 2 months( 1 month before MBA and one month after). And you will have started the next process of getting the right internships, right jobs, right cities, and right promotions.
Do you really believe that success is about getting a STUPID Admit?
I want you to do this right now: Declare success. You are successful right now. And then all the other actions that you will take in life( the bullets above), I want you to replace the word “Unsuccessful” with “Successful”. The life will look very different.
If you Are Successful right now(Again: Only if you think SO)
- A Successful person will explore what careers to choose now
- A Successful person will know what schools can get him those careers
- A Successful person will get into conversations with the schools to understand more about “How they can help him/her?” as opposed to thinking “Please take me at any cost”
- A Successful person will introspect and bring out interesting incidents from his/her life in the essays and interviews.
A Successful person will get an opportunity to choose from multiple admits.
One thing that I am very certain will change after this declaration: “Your vision and your reasons for doing an MBA will be very VERY different. For starters, you will stop treating schools as GOD. You will start looking at them objectively. A School is no different than SHOPPING. You spend more time in buying a Maruti SX4 than buying a service worth 90 lacs.
Top MBA can make you a Top MBA. That is it.
Declare success. It is not an outcome- Running after an MBA is a death trap. Success is simply a decision that we all can make in our lives.
Have a FANTASTIC Day Ahead!